Orthopedist Medical Malpractice And Serious InjuriesMedical Malpractice Mistakes
An orthopedist is a doctor who specializes in the correction of injuries, deformities, or functional impairments of the skeletal system. Orthopedists are best known for treating injuries to the bones, muscles, tendons, and ligaments, including the spine. Most people think of an orthopedist as someone who treats a broken bone caused during sports or a slip and fall, and this is really the most common example of an orthopedist treating a patient.
There are many areas, however, where an orthopedist can cause medical malpractice. In instances such as this, medical malpractice to a victim can result in serious personal injuries which can be debilitating and result in permanent damage. This is because an orthopedist works with the structural integrity of a human body. Mistakes in treating the bones or muscles mean that the body may no longer function as it should.
There are some common mistakes by orthopedists which are medical malpractice and can result in serious, permanent, and debilitating disability, including the following:
- Placing a cast on too tight and causing nerve injury;
- Improperly using hardware to fix a fracture;
- Failing to diagnose a fracture;
- Failing to treat a broken bone properly;
- Failing to timely treat a tendon injury (usually 8 to 14 days or permanent!);
- Surgical malpractice, including cutting nerves or arteries by mistake;
- Using the wrong brace to heal a fracture;
- Prescribing the wrong medication;
- Improperly injecting a patient;
- Causing mistakes during surgery with result in death;
- Leaving broken objects or foreign objects in a patient after surgery;
and many more kinds.
If you break a bone, shouldn’t the orthopedist treat it properly?
Can an orthopedist be liable for not diagnosing a broken bone?
Should orthopedists be liable for making mistakes during surgery?
The answer to all of these questions is yes, yes, and yes! If you are injured due to the medical malpractice of an orthopedist, you should get compensation for your injuries!